It’s been a few weeks since I have had an opportunity to work on my table mostly due to weather, the holidays, and a few family emergencies. But now that I am back to work and I set up an indoor workshop I can finally finish the table.
First up was attaching the table top a bit better and problem solving my Pin legs not having much to support. Its moments like these that I feel cursed by my MechE degree because I immediately go into engineer mode and start considering torque, shear stress, and a thousand other things when really I just need a few more screws.
With the table top attached and the legs in I realized my leg problem had more to due with my screws then anything else. I was using #6 fine thread 1/2″ screws on some soft pine wood. It is pretty easy to see that my legs would wobble. So I grabbed some #10 3/4″ screws which really bit into the wood, after that I decided I should secure every bit of my table top with the better screws and things really seemed to come together.
I decided to take a break to really let some wood glue dry on a few of the pieces that just weren’t getting enough force to held down. As I fiddled with the wood glue I think about how much time I could save if my work surface was actually flat and not on a weird 5º angle.